Waste Water Treatment Using Plants
A Sustainable Water Solution for a Better Tomorrow
The RhizoMatrix system is the culmination of aerobic technology and Mother Nature.
RhizoMatrix is a Reed bed / Constructed wetland system. It is an artificial swamp (sometimes called “reed-fields”) using reed or other marshland plants to form part of small-scale sewage treatment systems. Water trickling through the reed bed is cleaned by microorganisms living on the root system and in the litter. These organisms utilize the sewage for growth nutrients, resulting in a clean effluent. The process is very similar to aerobic conventional sewage treatment, as the same organisms are used, except that conventional treatment systems require artificial aeration.
- Biotechnology using Natural Systems in engineered form for treating wastewater.
- Also known as Bio-filters, Constructed Wetland and Root Zone Systems.
- Consist of a lined tank filled with coarse mixture of high porosity.
- Employs three types of highly efficient sewage treating Microbes working side by side in natural environment … anaerobic, facultative and aerobic bacteria.
- Specially selected, acclimatized flowering plants are used in the system.
- Roots of plants in association with bacteria give an effective sewage treatment.
- This system remains functional … Naturally …
- Waste of one … is food of other …
RhizoMatrix systemsare divided into 4 STAGES of Processing:
- THE ANAEROBIC STAGE utilizes a multiple compartment baffle tank with an option for an up flow anaerobic sludge blanket. 30% to 60% of the TSS can be removed in this stage.
- THE WETLAND STAGE utilizes high surface area attached growth treatment processes. Biofilms are established on both aggregate and live substrates to facilitate robust attached growth treatment processes. The majority of the BOD is removed at this stage.
- THE AEROBIC STAGE operates to provide the necessary conditions for the nitrification of Ammonia to Nitrite and Nitrate. Denitrification takes place in the benthic zones of the Anoxic/ Ecological stage. The majority of the NH3 is removed in this stage.
- THE POLISHING STAGE The polishing stage provides a high level of final treatment by recirculating dosing through fine pore treatment media. Effluent typically passes through six cycles in this filter before flowing to UV disinfection.
Rhizomatrix systems are capable of achieving high levels of treatment for BOD, TSS, nutrients and pathogens. Multiple stages perform different treatment functions. The recycle between stages provides the alternating conditions required for advanced biological nutrient removal. Each stage is sized according to process engineering calculations. The use of multiple cells allows the system to be built in stages where required. The recycle rate can be easily adjusted to respond to phases or seasonal variability in the influent flow. Each Rhizomatrix system is sized to meet the discharge parameters of each location.
RhizoMatrix system Process Removes:
- Suspended Solids
- Fat, Oil and Grease
- Heavy Metals (to some extent)
- Colour & Disinfects water
Ideal for implementation in:
- Ornamental pond
- Artificial lakes
- Grey water recycling
- Self-sustaining stable ecological system based on the inter-relations between plants, fish and micro-organisms.
RhizoMatrix system Process Removes:
- Chemical Free
- Biological digestion and removal of organic compounds (BOD)
- Degradation of suspended solids
- Precipitation of metals
- Pathogen removal
- Nutrient removal (Nitrogen and Phosphorus)
- Degradation of toxic compounds
- Self-Rejuvenating ecosystem
- No complicated setups for operations and maintenance
- No electricity, power saving and wastage for aeration
- No costly equipment
- No moving parts
- No need of highly trained manpower
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Can be integrated into parks and jogging tracks
- Can be De-centralized
- Improves with age
- Demands little maintenance
- Hi tolerance to fluctuations and human mistakes